Victoria is currently under Level 4 restrictions to reduce the spread of COVID19 in the community. As an essential healthcare provider, Verdant Dental is OPEN for urgent and emergency dental care.
If you are more than 5km from us, you are permitted to travel to us for required dental care if you have a confirmed appointment. Call us on 9379 3736 or SMS 4034 881 479 for an appointment.
What treatment can we offer under current operating restrictions?
We can do treatments that do not generate aerosols, including
- Examinations and consultations – for example, if you think you have a problem, we are able to examine you and provide advice
- Treatment of gum infections – without use of ultrasonic scalers. We can use routine hand tools to manually clean and remove gum infections, with the use of anaesthetic as required.
- Tooth extractions can be provided. We always assess your case prior to doing any extractions. Extractions that may require minor surgery must be referred to oral surgeons. We can also prescribe pain relief and antibiotics if appropriate, and reschedule your extraction until after lockdown restrictions.
- Prescribing painkillers and antibiotics if appropriate
- Assess and manage ulcers, swellings, lumps and other problems affecting “soft tissues” in and around your mouth
We can provide limited treatments that do generate aerosols, for example
- Do you have acute or sudden dental pain? If you have a large cavity, we may need to relieve your pain by performing emergency root canal treatment, or emergency fillings – providing we are able to use a rubber dam. This is a thin sheet of rubber designed to minimise aerosols. Think of it as a mini mask for your tooth!
- If you have damaged your upper front teeth (perhaps by accidents, falls etc) then we can fix these problems, again with use of a rubber dam.
- Are your dental problems at risk of escalating if not treated? An example may be wisdom teeth causing pains, or crowns which have come off. We can examine and assess your problem, and then decide if urgent treatment is justified.
- Are you immunocompromised? Your general health can be at risk if dental issues are not treated. We are able to assess your needs and provide dental care accordingly.
- Has your doctor or surgeon advised you to have your teeth checked and fixed? We are often asked to provide a dental fitness certificate from surgeons, particularly prior to major surgery (eg heart operations). We also provide dental fitness reports prior to starting some bone medications (some drugs that help with osteoporosis can complicate dental treatment). This is an essential service we continue to provide during lockdown.
Dental treatment which is currently being delayed
All routine dental treatment is currently being deferred. Your regular checkup and cleaning is an important part of your health, however we are under orders not to provide this treatment at this time. Look after yourself as best as you can – eat healthily, enjoy alcohol in moderation, and remember to use dental floss and brush your teeth twice daily.
Right now, we are contacting our patients who had regular appointments booked, and rescheduling your appointments from October 2020.
Dental care for COVID19 confirmed or suspected patients
If you have close contact to a COVID19 case, or are confirmed COVID19, we are able to refer you to a dental clinic which is able to see you. In addition, the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne operate a COVID19 clinic – contact them on (03) 9341 1000 .
We are offering an SMS service for you to contact us during lockdown
You can SMS us anytime on 0434 881 479 with your name and a brief description of your problem. We will reply to your SMS and help you organise an appointment!
You can also call us on 9379 3736 – please leave a message if we don’t answer immediately, or SMS 0434 881 479 to ensure a response.